Parental Responsibility and Re-Registration of Birth

Hannah-Marie Davies, Associate Partner in our Family Law department offers some guidance about this important issue.

A father who is married to the child’s mother at the time of the birth will automatically acquire parental responsibility. As of 1 December 2003 an unmarried father acquires parental responsibility if he is named on his child’s birth certificate.

If a father is not named on a child’s birth certificate, it is possible for him to acquire parental responsibility and be added to the birth certificate at a later stage in the child’s life. This can be achieved in the following ways:

1. Re-Registration by Agreement
2. Amendment by virtue of a Parental Responsibility Order
3. Application for Declaration of Parentage

We have a number of solicitors who specialise in private law matters who can assist with drafting parental responsibility agreements or representing clients applying for a court order. Please telephone us now on 0115 9503231 if you require assistance.