Q&A with Emma Leivers, Criminal Defence Solicitor
In this edition of the Bhatia Best Q&A Session, we talk to Emma Leivers who is a Criminal Defence Solicitor at our Derby office.
1. What is your name?
2. What is your role at Bhatia Best?
Solicitor & co-manager of Criminal Department at Derby
3. Which department and office do you work in?
Criminal Defence, Derby.
4. When did you join Bhatia Best?
July 2007 as a placement student.
5. What does your typical day consist of?
Advising and assisting clients at police stations, prisons and both Magistrates and Crown Courts, from minor offences such as assault and damage, through to murder, rape, human trafficking and terrorism offences. Co-management of criminal department in Derby, including training, file reviews, regulatory compliance, allocation of work, billing, team meetings and reports.
6. What is the most rewarding part of your work?
Working with a great team and representing clients facing serious offences.
7. What first interested you in a career in Law?
I (mistakenly) thought I’d be rich!
8. If you hadn’t pursued a career in Law, what do you think you’d be doing now?
Baking cakes in a deli.
9. What hobbies do you have outside of work?
Baking, cooking, cleaning (really!), learning Italian, gym, running, gin, tonic, wedding-planning and attending a hen party seemingly every other weekend.
10. Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or 1 horse-sized duck?
I’d take my chances one-on-one with a horse-sized duck because the only danger is the beak, it can’t punch or stamp, I’ll take that over 400 horse hooves.