CRIMINAL DEPARTMENT – ALL BRANCHES
This is an opportunity for a Solicitor (NQ+) to join our busy Criminal Department. The successful candidate will be a currently practicing solicitor in Crime, have a strong work ethic and advocacy skills, and hold a Duty Solicitor Accreditation.
Our activity spans the East Midlands and the successful candidate may be required from time to time to conduct work at any of three branches or at other Police Stations and Court Centres in the area.
Solicitor primarily practicing in the Magistrates Court conducting the full ambit of litigation and advocacy in cases from commencement to conclusion.
Candidate will be required to:-
- Engage in Client interaction on daily basis either on telephone, video conferencing or in person.
- Engage in preparation of Case Files
- Attend Court on a daily basis to represent clients in Plea (NGAP / GAP) courts, remand courts, contested trials and sentencing hearings.
- Engage in Police Station Attendance and Representation.
- Engage in Litigation in respect of Crown Court matters
- Undertake out-of-hours work (Police Station and Saturday/Bank Holiday Courts) on a rota basis.
Remuneration package will include basic salary plus overtime and mileage once engaged on out-of-hours rota.
- Experience maintaining case files via a computerised Case Management System. Compliance with SQM (Specialist Quality Mark) and internal transaction criteria.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Competent drafting of all types of legal documents.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to apply law to fact.
- Competent negotiating skills (both written and oral).
- Confidence in delivering coherent, robust, reliable advice to clients. Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel) and Windows 10. Full UK Driving Licence desirable (out of hours travel) but not essential.
Candidate will be a Solicitor with a current Practicing Certificate and have obtained CLAS Accreditation as a Duty Solicitor.
All levels of PQE will be considered.
We will also accept applications from CILEX accredited individuals who have the appropriate Advocacy Certificate and CLAS (Duty) Accreditation
Comprehensive understanding of the Criminal Justice System and constituent elements thereof. Understanding of Criminal Legal Aid applications process.
Understanding of Rules of Conduct and Client Confidentiality.
If you wish to apply please attach a CV and Covering Letter.
If you would like to know more about this vacancy you may wish to contact either our practice manager or the Department Manager, Steve Ramsell for an informal and confidential chat.