Students – parents refusing financial support?

Under the Children Act 1989 a parent can be ordered to pay financial support to sons and daughters who are undergoing education or training, even though they are over the age of 18.

A student who has reached the age of 19 can take court proceedings in his/her own right against one or both parents if necessary. Legal Aid may be available but only for a very short period as Legal Aid is due to be withdrawn for this type of dispute on 1 April 2013.

Contact  one of our specialist team for professional advice on this or any other family law matter.